Edgewood High School as We Knew It
A brief history - past to present
The blue and gold website announces: "Edgewood High School -- Home of the Lions"
WAIT! WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?
For those of you who do not yet know, our high school alma mater is no longer as we knew it. Closed in 1988 and merged with West Covina High School, the campus became Edgewood Middle School. The once proud Trojans of "green & white & gold of promise true" fame may be gone, but certainly not forgotten!
In August 2010, the eastern half of the middle school campus (off of Trojan Way) was reopened as a public high school serving 9th and 10th graders. For the 2011-12 school year, Edgewood High School -- Home of the Lions -- is expected to serve approximately 425 students, all with school-issued laptops and free Wi-Fi access. The first EHS graduation ceremony since 1988 will take place in 2014.
The Edgewood High School that we knew had opened its doors in September 1959 to a group of eager freshmen, sophomores, and juniors. We were that class of sophomores, having completed our freshman year at the old Covina High while the new school was being built. We would spend three unforgettable years as Trojans, graduating in June, 1962. We were the second class to graduate from Edgewood, and we could not have imagined that only twenty-four more senior classes would march behind us toward that coveted diploma.
However, the Trojan spirit of Edgewood High lives on! Each July, alums from every graduated class gather in Cameron Park to greet old friends and make new ones. This is our "Homecoming." We have not forgotten.
NEWS FLASH: The Edgewood High School Alumni Association is now official! This group represents all EHS graduated classes from 1961 to 1988. The Alumni Assn. organizes the annual picnic, and has an active Facebook page.